There is almost an overabundance of licensed fishing guides and charters in Washington and Oregon who can legally take you out on the Columbia River for King Salmon Fishing near Portland. However, very few are experienced in professionally conducting guided fishing charters for King Salmon near Portland, Oregon. Some items to look for in a professional guide service before booking:
- How many years have they been business?
- Waters West Guide Service has been in business since 2003 when they opened under the trade name Premier Guide Service.
- How many boats and guides do they have?
- Team Waters West has 5-7 fishing guides who work together as a team to help you catch fish year round. These guide have over 10 boats total many of which are brand new each year.
- How new are their boats and equipment?
- New boats, new fishing rods and reels are important for safety and reliability which is why we are always upgrading boats every few years and equipment each season.
Guided Fishing Trips near Portland, Oregon
The closest fishing to Portland, Oregon is the Spring King Salmon fishery where many anglers troll the mighty Columbia River around the I-5 bridge between Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington from mid-March through mid-April each spring for King Salmon at Portland. The Spring King Salmon Season is short but also has the best tasting highest valued king salmon of the entire year. There are other trips available year round within an easy drive of Portland, Oregon for King Salmon and Steelhead.
- March/April King Salmon at Portland on the Columbia RIver
- April/May/June King Salmon on the Cowlitz River 2-2.5 hours NE of Portland
- July/August/September Fishing at Astoria, Oregon about 1.5 hours West of Portland
- September/October Fishing at Woodland, Washington about 30 minutes North of Portland
Columbia River King Salmon Charters
King Salmon fishing is probably the most popular fishing in the Pacific NW. King salmon are aptly named as the ultimate king of all salmon. King Salmon are the biggest species of salmon and king salmon are caught on the Columbia River each year close to 50lbs. Historically king salmon had been known to reach 80lbs or more. We frequently catch king salmon close to or just over 40lbs.
- King Salmon caught daily on the Columbia River in March, April, July, August, September and October can reach as much as 40+lbs
- The best time to fish for the biggest King Salmon is August near Astoria, Oregon during the Buoy 10 King Salmon Fishery
- King Salmon Fishing on the Columbia River takes place about 6 months out of the year depending on seasons regulated by the Oregon and Washington Departments of Fish and Wildlife
Cowlitz River King Salmon Fishing
The Cowlitz River is a main tributary of the lower Columbia River. Spring King Salmon fishing is very popular on the Cowlitz River as it is a very easy drive from Portland, Oregon, Tacoma, Washington and Seattle, Washington. The Cowlitz River has a large salmon hatchery run by Tacoma Power, the utility company which has hydroelectric dams in the region The fishery program is well managed by Tacoma Power and the Department of Fish and Wildlife creating a wiz bang Spring and Fall King Salmon Fishery.
Our guides' favorite time to fish the Cowlitz River for King Salmon is in the Spring. Spring King Salmon Fishing on the Cowlitz River is one of the most promising and happy times of year for our customers and fishing guides. The Cowlitz River regularly received between 10-25,000 returning king salmon each Spring Season.
- Spring King Salmon Fishing on the Cowlitz River March through June Each Season
- King Salmon limits usually 2 per person and daily limits caught often
- Multiple guides and boats available daily for this popular fishery
Portland Fishing Trips
If you live in or are visiting Portland, Oregon it is hard to ignore the fact that this is an epicenter of fishing activity. Fishing trips at Portland can occur year round even though the best time is in the Spring to fish in Portland there are year round opportunities to catch salmon and steelhead within a short drive of Portland. Portland fishing charters and Portland fishing guides are licensed by either Oregon or Washington States and can help you catch big salmon and steelhead year round.
- Portland Fishing Trips available year round at Portland or within 2.5 hours
- Portland Fishing Charters most popular for King Salmon in the Spring, late Summer and Fall
- Fishing Guides and Charters are Portland, Oregon can help you successfully catch king salmon, coho salmon, sockeye salmon and steelhead each year
Kalama River King Salmon and Steelhead
The Kalama River is only 30 minutes north of Portland, Oregon and offers year round opportunities to catch salmon and steelhead on a small river with beautiful scenery. There are many waterfalls on the Kalama River and the longest stretch of the river is limited to non-motorized boats which adds to the tranquility of this fishery. One of the most popular times of year to fish the Kalama River is in March-May. During this time you can catch winter steelhead, summer steelhead AND king salmon. King Salmon fishing on the Kalama River is a great relaxing trip for all ages.
- Kalama River King Salmon and Steelhead March-May
- Kalama River Fishing Guides offer nice drift boats and up to date gear and techniques to help you catch fish
- The Kalama River offers a quiet scenic drift boat fishery perfect for all ages and experience levels
We hope you learned a lot about the seasons and fisheries that the Portland area has to offer on the Lower Columbia River and look forward to seeing you on the water soon.